Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dressing up!

Right now I am finished with the story of my novel, I know exactly what happens, I know what I want to happen and how it ends and everything like that!

The only problem is that the story isn't developed well enough! Basically the whole time I was writing the story I did it in noob style... (previous posts) which basically means I over explained it.. which is bad because the reader is supposed to figure things out on their own so they can experience it for themselves! Instead of explaining why the character did the thing he did just have him do it and leave the explanation for later, instead of saying the character was scared say the the character was shivering or that he/she hid under the bed.

So that's what I've been doing, I've been "dressing" my story up! And I have changed so much while still keeping the same basic plot. The story has changed so much not even I recognize it anymore! I am very proud of it, so I will give a short preview/summary.

The story of five high school kids who live in a dump, the worst, most poor place one could ever live, a trash ridden city where a cardboard box could literally be one's house. These boys are so poor and angry, why is everyone around them so happy and cheerful? The set out on a quest, one to make money and two to leave this worthless dump of a town. They end up falling down the wrong path when they start to sell marijuana. They become super rich off of it and it is a constant struggle to keep hush about it and to keep quiet about it at all times, while one of the boys decided it's enough and leaves, all he wants is to be creative and make money off being creative, not off of selling crap. Here in lies the story of violence and romance, weird parts, funny parts that actually made me laugh out loud when I wrote them, happy and romantic parts that made me actually want to be one of the characters and perhaps one of the saddest stories I have ever written... The Green Success will be published sometime soon!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your book. You going to do an ebook release and a printed release? I highly suggest doing both, as the reader will have a choice, and it provides an easy way to backup your work.

    Remember, be sure to start promoting it, such as telling people and creating book trailers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks I was planning on to doing both, Ebook for people online who don't want to spend money on shipping and physical books, and printed so I could use them for friends and the people in my community who support me. Either way I really have nothing to lose... I guess that's the benefits of self publishing... Full control and ownership! So how's it going with Divinity's End? I hear your pretty close to releasing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good. I really recommend you make the ebook versions yourself, so it will not cost you any extra. I still have not gotten anything back from my proofreader on revisions needed on the second draft, so it is still going along with my estimated date of Dec. 2010. I hope to receive it soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well at least you have an estimated date! all I could ever say is, it's done when it's done... you must have more experience with this kind of stuff than I am, I personally hate reading and writing, but when I came up with this story I knew I had to write it! So possibly that's why it takes so long... I hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just an avid reader and I hate boredom, as well as tend to be lazier without deadlines. I have not been writing books for long. However, I have done a lot of programming and played logic games. I am grateful for that compliment though. I hope everything goes well for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boredom is the only reason I chose to write and I"m glad I get bored so easily! Summer break starts in three days and I cant wait, all my school activities will finally be out of the way, no more headaches, no more sleeping dead lines, no more getting up early and best of all... ..No MORE HOMEWORK!!!! ... or actually better no more AP classes so next year I can actually be productive/ even after school because of such little homework! Good luck to you and I hope someday I might see one of my books next to one of yours at the book store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to be a while before my books can get in a book store, because I've heard bad things about letting Lulu do it, so I need to just get a fanbase and then buy some ISBNs, so a wholesaler can track it. I need ten titles before Ingram would look at me. I thought you already graduated, due to your age. I guess that was wrong. I hope everything goes well for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I also heard bad things about Lulu's store stuff... I guess for now though when I do publish it, the first store it would be in would be my local borders at the "local authors" section... you thought I already graduated? ha! I wish! I'm only 16...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Borders is not easy to get into since you need more than one kind of code, with starts with a "B". Lulu has been great so far, since I did not go for any of their services. It was letting them list it in places like Amazon and a major book catalog where I heard about the problems. Interesting, you started writing more recently than I thought. I'm glad that I don't need to be plagued by the problems of high school. My school had some dumb classes be required, which are of no use to me now, especially since I'm almost a college grad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean, I just finished Chemistry and honestly how many people are actually going to be chemists? No class should be a requirement except maybe health, you'd think 12+ years of school would be enough? Yeah, I don't think I'll use Lulu for more than just printing copies for my own distribution and Ebooks, The Borders by my house has some sort of school club program or whatever where for a few weeks they will have a special shelf for all the writers from the school to sell their books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sell my books through Lulu's own market, not using their service to get it elsewhere. Other than that, its printing and ebook availability.

    ReplyDelete